Funding for food- and ag-tech startups is on the rise, with a record $10.1B invested globally in 2017 alone, according to AgFunderNews. However, vital gaps exist in early-stage funding, particularly for impact-driven entrepreneurs – the population we work most directly with. The problem, we believe, is not necessarily a lack of funding options, but rather a lack of knowledge about and resources to track down these options.
That’s why we’ve built the first open database of Alternative Funding Vehicles for Good Food & Agriculture startups, that is both accessible and iterative. Browse our selections below; submit a new vehicle yourself; or reach out directly with your feedback!
- Know of other resources that we should include? Add your own here*.
- What led us down this path? Check out the recap of our June 13th kickoff event in Brooklyn.
- Read more about the need for technology solutions in the Sustainable Agriculture movement via our AgTech 101 series.
*Please note our 5 guidelines for viable funding vehicles:
- A viable submission prioritizes food and agriculture startups or has a portfolio featuring at least one food or agriculture focused company.
- A viable submission focuses on non-monetary returns (i.e. community impact or environmental benefit).
- A viable submission prioritizes investment in early-stage startups (pre-seed through Series A).
- A viable submission is applicable to startups in the Greater New York City area.
- An ideal submission also allows for democratized participation of investors (but does not have to).