- This event has passed.
Intro to Aquaponics, Biosphere Build, & Farm Tour with Oko Farmshosted by
Saturday, June 16, 2018
Aquaponics is a closed-loop approach to sustainable agriculture in which fish, microbes, and plants form a symbiotic ecosystem. In this extended class, you’ll receive a detailed introduction from Yemi Amu, Founder of Oko Farms – NYC’s only outdoor aquaponics farm & education center.
Specifically, you’ll learn about:
- A brief history of fish cultivation
- The basic science of aquaponics
- Fish selection & management
- Aquaponics best practices
- Basic design options for an aquaponics farm
- Yemi’s experience starting an aquaponics farm in NYC
During the class, you’ll also construct a miniature, self-contained “biosphere” to take home.
Finally, you’ll head over to Oko Farms (12 min walk) for a tour of their outdoor aquaponics farm! (weather-permitting).